Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Situated for Savannah

Last night, we arrived in Yemassee, SC at our final destination of this leg of the trip. We are in a gorgeous park located halfway between Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC. Both of which are on our list to visit.



We hit some heavy storms in Jacksonville, FL enroute and arrived to rain here too. Wish I could send it on down to my fellow Texans. All of TX has been declared a natural disaster due to the drought there.



This morning, we headed to Savannah and made reservations to eat lunch at Paula Deen's "Lady & Son's" Restaurant.



We managed to get an 11:00 seating. There were people lined up all over the place. I can see why. Check out this plate of good southern cookin! Fried chicken, collard greens and all the sides you can imagine! And it was all good!



She also has a gift shop next door. I couldn't resist this Shirt! With grease stains and all ;) LOL I think I'm going to have to start taking prophylactic niacin to keep my arteries from clogging! There is just so much more great food to come and this is only the beginning! LOL



After lunch, we took a narrated trolley tour of the city. The city is layed out in a perfect square. The streets and park squares are lined with live oaks draped with Spanish moss. The architecture is just amazing in the historic district. There are sections ranging from gothic, victorian and colonial. Some dating back to the 1700's that have survived the Civil War.






















After our tour, we drove over to Tybee Island to view the shores and the light house.



3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're having a good time seeing the sights AND finding all that good food. You don't have trouble doing either! ;) And having a travel buddy makes it even more fun. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura :) I'm in my glory eating my way across the country! LOL The sights are awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see a pattern already developing -- some mention of food in every post! ;) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete