Saturday, August 13, 2011

Northern New Hampshire

Today, I'm in the gorgeous White Mountains of New Hampshire with a fun-filled day planned ahead! I'm heading out to go moose hunting! I was disappointed that I didn't see any in Yellowstone last year, so I'm going to try it again here.

But first, lunch with another RV sister! I met my friend Liz and her sister-in-law in Sugar Hill for lunch at the infamous Polly's Pancake Parlor!



This an amazing place. The same family has owned it down through the generations since 1938 and make their our homemade pancake mixtures and maple products. We all got the pancake sampler with your choice of six 3" cakes of Plain, Buckwheat, Whole Wheat, Cornmeal or Oatmeal Buttermilk and you could choose to add Blueberries, Walnuts, Coconut or Chocolate Chips to any of them and your waiter would make them to order hot off the griddle, 3 at a time! They also serve NH smoked meats and a potatoe cake special that day!

What a feast! Had to eat a pancake before I could get a picture! ;)



We had a real nice visit over lunch and it's always great to see Liz. Was nice meeting her sil too! Thank you for joining us! Thanks again Liz, and I'll see ya back in Texas this winter! :)

Sugar Hill is beautiful little hamlet with gorgous views.



The girls told me to go visit the cute little post office in town, so off I went. And it was adorable! :)



And I also passed by this sweet little white clap board Episcopal Church so typical in New England.



Now then, there is an area called "Moose Alley" on scenic Rt 3 heading into Canada. So with camera in hand, off I went in search of the elusive moose! Now I understand the best time to spot them is at dawn and dusk. Well, that just isn't going to happen. I don't care to get up before the sun when I'm on vacation nor do I care to drive at night and risk the chance of wearing one as a hood ornament! ;) And I have read it is possible to see them during the day in this area.

When I arrived at Moose Alley, I read this sign!



I'm all excited with anticipation now! So I'm thinking maybe I should have my bear spray handy just in case one tries to charge me while I'm photographing it. If it can shoot 30 feet and works on a bear, it should surely work on a moose!

And it's a gorgeous drive through a lot of pine forests



and beautiful mountain lakes



and streams :)



Then I arrived at the last turn around before the Canadian border. And no moose. But that's Ok, I still have all the way back for another chance!

Finally, I arrived at the other end of Moose Alley, and still hadn't seen any other this one.



I guess that will have to do for today. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment